Places of Interest
Camden Fort Meagher
Fort Meagher is positioned on Rams Head near Crosshaven, covering the entrance of Cork Harbour with Fort Davis opposite. It was one of four fortifications built in the late 1800's and early 1900's to protect Cork Harbour. Prior to the end of British occupation of the 26 counties, it was known as Fort Camden. By virtue of Cork Harbour being a Treaty Port (retained by the British after the independence of the present Irish state), it remained occupied by British Military Forces until July 1938 when control was handed over to the Irish State and the Irish Defence Forces.
Fort Meagher, which the British called Fort Camden after the Earl of Camden, the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland between 1795 and 1798. After it was handed over to the Irish government in 1938, it was renamed Fort Meagher in honour of Thomas Francis Meagher. Meagher was a leader of the Young Ireland Movement which faught against British occupation of Ireland. When captured Meagher and several colleagues were charged with sedition and they were sentenced to death. Their sentences were commuted to penal transportation to Van Diemen's Land (the present-day state of Tasmania in Australia.)
Camden Fort Meagher is internationally recognised as being “One of the finest remaining examples of a classical Coastal Artillery Fort in the world”. For almost 400 years the fort played a key role as a strong strategic position for the defence of Ireland, the west coast of England and Wales. 65% of the fort is located underground in a labyrinth of tunnels and chambers. The fort is a prime location to watch ships passing through Cork Harbour, the second largest natural harbour in the world. Camden Fort Meagher is in the Ancient East and just 20 minutes from the Wild Atlantic Way.
Once the ancestral home of the Hayes family and now in private ownership. It was built in 1769 by William Hayes on a site with commanding views of Cork Harbour and is one of the finest examples of domestic Georgian architecture in Ireland. A three-storey building and a basement, with two almost identical facades of grey ashlar, the house has been a landmark in Crosshaven for over 200 years. Stories of its importance in the town's history are recalled for such deeds as the setting up of a Soup Kitchen during the famine years. Crosshaven House. After being restored to it’s former glory, it is now available for private hire, including accommodation, weddings and functions. Seasonal public tours also available.
Templebreedy Church And Graveyard
The ruin that is now standing on this site is that of St Mathew's church which was built in 1779 and was used for about 100 years. The walls of the old Teampall Bride were standing until 1779 but were demolished when the new church was built. The oldest headstones in the graveyard lie to the north of the ruined church and about 40 of them date back to the 18th century. The oldest of them seems to be from 1711.